Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Learned something today

This morning I was sitting with my mum in her living room with Illy bouncing on the sofa beside her, when mum said in Greek, "kathe katergaros sto spiti tou" and then proceeded to explain.

My sister and I have visited for Christmas and she has left and today I will leave. The saying means something aling the lines of "everyone returns to their place". But the word "katergaros" is the vernacular for a small brown fish, like a trout, which, when you put a cigarette in its mouth, will smoke it.

I love these little sayings and i love how their literal meanings inform the figurative meaning.

Happy new year all! I hope it is a profitable and wonderful one.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails